Thursday, 26 December 2013

Saucony Type A5 review.

As promised, I'm going to give my thoughts on the lightest racing flat from Saucony.


The Saucony road competition line consists of the Fastwich 6 and the Type A5. I'll attach a picture of the Fastwich as I think that's also a terrific option for longer distances such as the Marathon. I'll do a review of that shoe at a later time. I've raced in the last 2 generations and really enjoyed it. It's my tempo shoe of choice.


The Type A5 is a feather light racing flat weighing just 5.6 ounces for a men's size 9. I find that for me it runs true to size. In the rest of the Saucony line I'm normally a 10 and the same holds true with this shoe. If your coming from the other Saucony racing flat the Fastwich 6, I would recommend sizing down a half size as I found that shoe to run a little small.

The type A5 sits very low to the ground and uses a 4mm heel to toe offset. I find that it has a fast transition and really feels great the faster you run. I'm a mid to forefoot striker so I don't know how it would respond for a heavy heel striker as it's fairly minimal but I'm sure just about any runner can get away with this for racing up to 10km. I'd recommend heavier set runners and less efficient ones to maybe use something like the Fastwich or even the Kinvara for longer distances. But expect with an efficient stride to use this in any distance up to the marathon.

The upper is really soft on the foot and I've run in it sock-less without any issues in terms of hot spots or blisters. Just toss in some baby powder before you run on the foot bed and you will be just fine. Because of the use of flex film overlays it reduces the need for having seams so the foot gets locked down but without the added bulk of more overlays being attached to the upper. This is a shoe you will enjoy getting into and rolling out a nice interval session or a race.

I think that's about all I can say about this shoe. I really like it. I'm getting anxious to try the new type A6 that Saucony has coming out next year, I'm going to get my hands on a pair in February and test them out and let everyone know what I think. I'm sure they will be supreme! I'll attach a sneak peak!




Until next time,
Stay Frosty,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment