Sunday, 29 December 2013

Week of training Sunday December 22th - Saturday December 28th

Hello again,

This is going to be a quick update just to let everyone know how training went this week, I'll put a post up mid week about how to improve running economy and how important it is to maximize our efficiency in general.

This week went very well considering it was Christmas and running took a back seat to eating and seeing friends and family. However I did manage to run 140 miles and got 3 good workouts in.

This week in training


Sunday

Long Run - 20 miles @ 7:00 pace on the treadmill, this was brutal having to run for 2:20 minutes on the treadmill but I was happy to get it in.

20 miles - AM
Off - PM

Monday

Workout - 8 X 800m The goal was to run 2 at 2:30, 2 at 2:25, 2 at 2:20 and the last 2 as fast as I could, I took large breaks just making sure I was fully recovered and could hold my form and run the intervals under control, the average break was about 3 minutes, the 800's ended up being 2:29, 2:32, 2:23, 2:25, 2:19, 2:19, 2:14, 2:11. I was ecstatic with this session, to be able to run a 2:11 at the end of a workout was something I never thought I'd be able to do at this time of the year. (I'm going to make sure I race all the twilight meets at Pearlgate track this summer. I think it's paramount to be able to run a sub 2 minute 800m and a sub 4 minute 1500m if I want to be able to run under 15 minutes for 5km. So the speed needs to be my top priority.) Summer goals will be a 1:59 for the 800m, a 3:59 for the 1500m and a 14:55 for the 5000m. 

14 miles with workout - AM
6 miles really easy - PM

Tuesday

10 miles - AM
10 miles - PM

Wednesday

Workout - 4 X 1 mile with full recovery (4 minutes). I wanted to try and run these all at 4:45 as I was feeling confident after the 800's on Monday. I went a little too hard the first 2 and started to suffer the last 2. I hate slowing down at the end of a workout so I'll make sure this doesn't happen again and I ease into the workout next time. Miles ended up being 4:42, 4:43, 4:48, 4:57. (Yeah that last one was a blow up, I went through the 800 in 2:22 and basically died the last 800 ha. lesson learned)

6 miles easy - AM
14 miles with workout - PM

Thursday 

Nick's Boxing day birthday run 14 miles - AM
6 miles - PM

Friday

Workout - 10km Lactate Threshold Tempo. I did this with Matt Noseworthy and Nick Snow. The boys are fit right now. Matt did 30 minutes at 5:27 pace, and Nick did a 10km progressing from 6 minute pace down to low 5:20. I dialed in 5:20 pace and rolled a comfortably hard effort for a 33:20 10km. I'm happy that running at that pace is feeling controlled and comfortable, that's pretty close to my Half Marathon goal pace, I'm going to need to split two 33:00's to run 1:09 low.

6 miles easy - AM
14 miles with workout - PM

Saturday

10 miles easy - AM
10 miles with Matt - PM

So all in all that's a great week of training. Happy to get the mileage back into the 140's. And the workouts went well considering. I'm really getting the itch to run a track race so I'm going to look at going to Moncton to run the open 3000m race during the AUS meet as Amanda and some sprinters will be heading over. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it would be a good idea to head over and run a quick 3k. I don't know what I'm able to run for that kind of distance, It's just all suffering during a 3k, but I'm confident I can run at least 8:50-8:55ish, but any faster then that I don't know about. Hopefully there is a heat with guys running mid to high 8:40's that I can get in with.

Well that's it for this week. Again I've got a little post planned on running economy that I'll post around Wednesday so look for that.

I hope you all had a safe and happy Christmas.
Cheers
Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment