Sunday, 5 January 2014

Week of training Sunday December 29th - Saturday January 4th

Hey Everyone,

Well this week has been pretty trying with the weather and power outages. I hope your all doing well and have been staying warm. I do intend to post a few paragraphs on efficiency like I've mentioned previously. It's just taking me a little longer then anticipated because of the rolling black outs I've experienced the last part of this week.

I'll post a little video at the end of this entry. It was a nice 3X5km at half marathon race pace (16:21, 16:18, 16:20) workout at the track in late November. I'm thinking about doing my own little workout Wednesday on my blog. I've got about 10-12 workouts I recorded from this past summer, so I can post one every week, and then get into new ones this coming year. Let me know what you guys think. I normally like watching people do workouts just to get a visual of what the workout looks like.

In training this week I was fortunate to have Matt Noseworthy in town and we got in some excellent workouts. Having him there for shorter intervals like 400's really helped. He is such a talent, look for him to run some fast times this year. He attends U Vic and has a great team out there.

This week in training


Sunday

Long Run - 20 miles @ 6:51 pace. This was actually pretty hard. The roads aren't very good right now so I had to work mentally just to not call it early. The pace stayed the same the majority of the run.

20 miles - AM
Off - PM

Monday

10 miles - AM
10 miles - PM

Tuesday

Workout - 5 minutes @ 10km pace, (ran a 5:00 minute mile) a 200 to wake up the legs (29), 2 X (4X400m) with 75 seconds between reps and 5 minutes between the sets. Went 64,62,63,63,65,63,64,62. Then we finished up with 3 minutes steady state at 5:00/mile pace.

12 miles with workout - AM
8 miles easy - PM

Wednesday

10 miles easy - AM
10 miles - PM

Thursday

Workout - 30 minutes at Lactate Threshold, I used the heart rate monitor for this to make sure I stayed in the right zone. The average pace ended up being about 5:18/mile. Felt good, but the last 8 minutes or so I was working as the 400's seemed to be lingering in my legs.

6 miles easy - AM
14 miles with workout - PM

Friday

10 miles easy - AM
10 miles easy - PM

Saturday

Workout - 6X1500m, This went really well, it was basically done at threshold pace, starting with 52 seconds for 245m laps and working down until the last rep was run at 42 seconds/lap. Just wanted to feel strong and in control. I've been chatting with Mike Greene a great deal and really appreciate his input on my training. I think it's important to do lots of research on your own but also speak to people who have the first hand experience and knowledge of the physiological side of training and what is actually happening when we place given stresses on the various energy systems. 

6 miles easy - AM
12 miles with workout - PM.

So I had a solid week there with 138 miles, 3 workouts and a Long Run. Another one in the books.



I'll attach part of that workout I mentioned here. Again let me know if this is something you would want to see. Maybe I can post a workout up every Wednesday. I've got about 12 or so full workouts and I'll be taping some on the indoor track and again on the outdoor one as soon as the weather isn't so bad.

Thanks again for all the support!
Keep your sticks on the ice!
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment