Sunday, 26 January 2014

Week of training Sunday January 19th - Saturday January 25th

Hello again,

It's that time of the week once again. I've been training really hard the past few months but I think this was the best week of training I've ever put in. 140 miles, 3 really hard quality days and a long run. After watching Kate last Sunday I was really inspired to get after it in training and up the intensity.

I don't have a whole lot of time right now, but I wanted to make sure I got my weekly update posted up. I'll be sure to check back in on Wednesday and put up a few paragraphs on my thoughts about Heart Rate Training. I think it can be very beneficial but also very intimidating for people to jump right into. So I'll touch on the benefits and how best to get started as you begin training with a heart rate monitor.

Also, when it gets posted on flotrack.org, be sure to watch Galen Rupp's two mile american record from last night. It was unreal, he went under his own record by 2 seconds and did so very aggressively going through the first 1600m in 4:01. After the race he then did a workout of 5X1 mile and started at 4:20 and progressed down to a 4:02 last mile.....he is on fire right now. I'm predicting a new American indoor mile record of 3:49 low next weekend!

Before I get into this week of training I'll share a quick video I took today of my workout. (This will be included in next week's update as I track my weeks from Sunday to Saturday but I did 3X2miles with 400m jog recovery (about 1:45) and it was run at 5:00/mile pace or 3:06/km pace. I feel really good about my fitness right now. The goal after I recover from the half next Sunday is to do 2X5km in 15:30 with 5 minutes recovery between reps. I put the treadmill on a 1.5% incline to account for being indoors and not creating my own headwind so based on the conversion chart the effort was 4:59/mile. This is a video of the last rep.





This week in training


Sunday

Long Run - 20 miles @ 6:42 pace, this was done on the roads around quidi vidi. 5 laps and then some miles added on at the end. It was progressive. The pace started at 7:00/mile and got down to about 6:20 by the end of the workout.

20 miles - AM
Off - PM

Monday

11 miles - AM
9 miles - PM

Tuesday

Workout - 10 mile tempo run. This was done on the Mundy Pond 5km course just doing continuous laps. It was one of my most promising workouts to date. I ran a personal best for 10 miles during that tempo run in a time of 53:39. I would imagine on a downhill course like the tely 10 it would have been good for a 52:00 or there abouts. I guess this summer will tell the real tale.


15 miles with workout - AM
5 miles - PM

Wednesday

10 miles easy - AM
10 miles - PM

Thursday

Workout - 10X1km with 60 seconds standing recovery. This was a brutal session. I wanted to start at 3:10/km and work down to under 3:00 by the end but it wasn't in the cards. 60 seconds break isn't allot even when you feel strong at the beginning of the workout. I averaged 3:08/km when it was all over but I was suffering just to run 3:05 for the last 3 repeats.


14 miles with workout - AM
6 miles  - PM

Friday

10 miles - AM
10 miles - PM

Saturday

Workout -  8X200m, 4X400m, 8X200m. I had to do this workout around going for a long run with Amanda so I did a few of my reps before I went and a few after I got back, not ideal but I was happy to get out with Amanda for her long run and I got all the work in when everything was finished. 200's averaged 30 seconds with the fastest being 27.4 and the 400's average 62 seconds with the fastest being 60 seconds.

16 miles with workout - AM.
4 miles easy - PM

The total for the week was 140 miles. The workouts went very well and I'm excited to continue my progression.

So that's everything for this week. I'm sorry it was a shorter post but I'm limited on time today. I'll be sure to make a post mid week. 

Thank you as always for following along on this journey and I will see you all next time.

Stay frosty,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment