Sunday, 16 February 2014

Week of training Sunday February 9th - Saturday February 15th + Thoughts on Canadian men's middle/distance running and shoe durability.

Hey everyone,

The weeks are really moving along hey! I'm starting to get excited for the spring racing season. I'll be running either a 5km on the roads this coming Saturday or a 3km on the indoor track. It will depend on what the weather is like. I've spoken with my coach and the goal is to build through the indoor races I plan to do over the next few weeks with the goal of being ready to run a very fast 5 and 10km in April. I've got myself ready to go for the Yonge Street 10km on the 13th of April and am making the call this week about running either the Vancouver Sun Run or the Canadian Half Marathon Championships the last week of April.  I'll look at the legistics and what will make the most sense. I wanted to say thank you to the Canadian Running Series for the support they offer to the elite Canadian runners, (Brandon Williams - Elite Athlete Coordinator and of course Allan Brooks the man behind all of CRS). I love participating in as many of their events as I can. This year I hope to run a couple more, but I always get up for at least 2/season. (http://www.canadarunningseries.com/crs/index.htm)

So I'll be sure to get back to talking about training philosophies, principals and ideas here in my blog next week, I've got a busy schedule but I do have a few articles/posts in the works. I don't like to post anything here before I know it's worth peoples time to read. But I'll be back with some training related material next week. I want to touch on a couple things this week before I get into my training recap.

Canadian men, being a dominant presence this indoor season.


I'm sure most of you that read this blog follow running to some degree and have heard about the Millrose Games and the Wanamaker Mile. (http://www.nyrrmillrosegames.org/). It has a rich history and is one of the largest indoor track races of the year, it's up there with the IAAF XL-Galen in Stockholm Sweden. Well we Canadians have allot to be excited about, 3 Canadian records were broken. Our top miler Nate Brennan (a Saucony Athlete I might add) Broke his own mile Canadian record by recording a 3:54.22 (3:36ish 1500m conversion). Cam Levins shattered the 2000m record with a time of 4:55 while beating a host of incredible runners such as American Steeple Chase record holder and 13:02 5km man Evan Jager. And in the sprints Aaron Brown ran a world leading time of 20:53.....unreal. So yeah, get excited. We are running well. Also a guy that has been making some waves Luc Bruchet from BC has been running with the big dogs and has posted some great times this season a 3:57 mile and a 7:54 3000m. Can someone please get this guy a shoe contract.....I mean really, he has burried some of the top guys rocking OTC and Nike kits.....show this kid some love.

The myth about needing to buy new running shoes every 3-400 miles like the RR would have you believe.


I wanted to experiment and see just how long I could push a pair of shoes, I see so often people going to the running room or sport check and hearing how they need to be replacing their shoes every 300 miles or there abouts. You guys know the kind of mileage I run. I've been averaging 120 miles/week for almost 6 months now with some weeks being into the 140's. So if I was to take the advice of these experts, then technically I'd be needing new shoes every two and a half weeks which is just ludicrous. So a little over a month ago I broke open a fresh box of Saucony Mirage 3 and decided to track how many miles I could run in them until I started to feel that there was no more "pop" left and the EVA had that dead feeling. I didn't rotate shoes, I did everything except my workouts in them, long runs, steady state runs and easy runs. I managed to get just about 600 miles, they are right at 580 as of this point. Had I been rotating two pairs I'm sure I could have stretched more out of them. But to me that's about what people should be getting out of their running shoes. Maybe it's just that Saucony has better quality but I had no trouble getting that kind of mileage out of them and if I had to I could still push on for another week. Keep in mind that this is also a more minimal shoe then most people are running in at 8.8 oz. for a men's size 9, (mine are a 10 and weigh 9.2). So if you have a bigger shoe such as the Saucony Triumph or Ride expect to even get a few more miles. And to look at the upper the shoes still look brand new, I've sheared away allot of the xt-900 rubber on the outside of the shoes from where I land on my forefoot but other then that the shoes still look good. I'll probably donate them along with the other pairs I have that are finished to the Salvation Army or something. I'll attach some pictures of what the shoes are like 580 miles deep. I'm not being biased here being sponsored by Saucony, I've run in their footwear long before they brought me on board. I'd highly recommend checking out some of their shoes if you want something with lots of quality and the right engineering for today's runner.








This week in training.


Sunday

Long run - 1 hour 45 minutes of steady state running, 5:58 pace. After talking with Jim and learning the importance of getting a good aerobic stimulus from my long runs I've been running them a little faster. This was a great run, but the last 30 minutes felt hard. I got in about 17.5 miles

17.5 - AM
OFF - PM

Monday

6.2 miles- AM
9 miles - PM

Tuesday 

Hill Reps - I did a session on my second run of 8X1minute hill repeats with 90 seconds to run back down the hill. This was done at about 5km race effort.

6.2 miles easy - AM
9.4 miles with workout - PM

Wednesday

Workout - This was a great tempo workout that Jeremiah suggested. He shared with me his training from last fall and boy is this guy an animal, I can't wait for him to get back running hard again, I can see him running a 66 half for sure with the type of training he was doing last fall. So anyway the workout was 4 miles @ half marathon pace, 2 minute rest, 2 miles @ 10km pace, 2 minutes rest then 1 mile @ 5km pace. I Averaged 5:14 for the 4 mile, 5:06 for the 2 mile and 4:51 for the mile. I was hoping to run a 4:48 at the end to hit 14 minute 5km pace but that was all I had in me.

14 miles with workout - AM
OFF - PM

Thursday

7 miles easy - AM
7 miles easy - PM

Friday

Workout - 20 minutes warm up then 3X10minutes with 2 minute active recovery @ 3:15-3:17/km pace. Jim wanted me floating right around my lactate threshold zone. It went well, The first interval was a little fast running 3:10/km pace but the next two were bang on 3:15.

6.2 miles - AM
12 miles with workout - PM

Saturday

6.2 miles - AM
8 miles with 10' of diagonals - PM


So that was my week, 108.7 miles and some great workouts. You might have noticed my mileage is a little lower and I'm not trying to run 20 miles a day. This is the time of the year now to start to really focus on the workouts and getting sharp. So I'm leaving it in the hands of my coach and running hard.

Thanks for reading everyone and I'll see you next week
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't loose"
Dave

2 comments:

  1. I think shoe durability is related to body mass and training surface as well as mileage. Lightweight fast runners can get more out of a pair of shoes than overweight plodders. Grass and trails can be more forgiving on a shoe than concrete. So overweight runners jogging on sidewalks likely need to change shoes in fewer miles than yourself, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I agree with the fact that body mass and training surface play a role in the tale of how many miles a person can get out of a pair of shoes. But all the miles I ran on these were done on pavement. And I'd also suggest that those overweight runners aren't going to be running everyday and certainly not doubling. I'd also venture to say they aren't spending as much time in their shoes during each run as a faster runner, now that's not always the case but it can be. I'm bringing these points to light because there has been articles written about how the eva and foam in the running shoe needs up to 48 hours in colder weather and 24 hours in warmer weather to fully respond back to where it was before the run. Something my shoes never get the chance to do. So I have to think that could make a difference of upwards of 100 miles.

      I mean for some larger people wearing a very minimal shoe (which in and of itself doesn't make sense but it happens), then I can see 300 miles being the most they are getting but that should be maybe a half a year for that runner. Most people can be getting double what they are. Shoes aren't cheap, and when I see sales people who clearly aren't runners giving misinformed information to people and then seeing them spend their hard earned money it doesn't sit right with me. That's all I was getting at.

      Delete