Monday, 31 March 2014

Bringing in another training perspective to my blog.

Hey friends,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm going to try something new on my blog. Obviously the goal of a blog is for it to be personal and document or rant about whatever is on one's mind. But I like to think of my blog as a place where runners can follow along and hopefully glean something from it and pick up some things they can incorporate into their own running. Now I by no means have all the answers or knowledge about this wonderful sport. I may do things right now that next year I may see as a mistake but I try to read as much as I can and work with people who know a lot more then myself. And keeping with that idea is why I'm going to start a new section on my blog where I cover my friend Jeremiah Johnston's training. I think I'll entitle it JJ's corner or something like that. I'm not sure but I'll figure it out. I feel like a lot of people could benefit from seeing how he trains as he is VERY busy with his job and has to fit in runs whenever he can. So for all those people out there who have super hectic schedules his training will be excellent to follow along with and see how you can maximize your training on minimal time.

A little background on Jeremiah. He's 27 and resides in B.C. with his wife Mariah. He began running at a young age and was going under 4 minutes for 1500m at 17. He accepted a scholarship to the University of Idaho and ran varsity cross country and track. After college he took a couple years off running before rediscovering his love for the sport. He started training again and within no time he was back in great shape running a 68 minute half and some fast times over the shorter distances as well. Jeremiah works with Saucony as a technical rep and is also head over all the Saucony Athletes (hence how we met). His job has him on the road a LOT. So he has to squeeze training in whenever he can. Normally he's running around 70-75 miles/week but everything is quality there are no junk miles. A 10 mile recovery run he will cover in 58 minutes so he is really maximizing his training.



Yeah, that's Galen Rupp JJ is racing against....2012 Olympic silver medallist at 10000m


So the goal of bringing him in on my blog is to show people how to get the most out of their running with the time they have available. I'll have him relay his training to me at the end of the week and I'll have a section on my weekly training update where I list what he did for the week. If he has the time at some point I'll get him to post some of his favourite training tips and tricks to help out some of my readers. I think people can really take a lot from his experiences in running and the training philosophies he has learned running and training with some of the best athletes around.

Anyway look for this to be added to my blog. Just a quick teaser. Last week his 2 quality workouts were a 4 mile tempo run on a hilly route in 20:10 or 5:02ish/mile pace and 7X1km off 1 minute recovery averaged under 3 minutes per km. So yeah, the guy has some wheels and I look forward to passing on some of his training to all of you.

Let me know what you think about this idea, and a special thanks to Jeremiah for offering up his training.

See you all next time
Stay frosty,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment