Sunday, 20 April 2014

Week of training Sunday April 13th - Saturday April 19th + Tely 10 training thoughts and JJ's weekly training wrap up.

Hey everyone,

I haven't forgotten about doing a full race recap and review of Yonge Street but I'm tabling it for later next week, I'm waiting on some good pictures and a video of the 5km split and finish which should be very cool. Anyway, training has gone very well, but I may have gone a little hard this week. I'm really feeling my left hamstring where it ties into my glute. Looking back at the week it's probably the fact that I had 3 hard days (Sunday race, Wednesday and Friday) in a short span. So with those 3 workouts including the race I ran 15 miles averaged under 5:00/mile pace. So I'm a little worried about racing a half next Sunday. I've gotten in touch with the Elite Athlete Coordinator and I'm going to see if I can use the flight/accommodations and what not for the Scotiabank Half in Vancouver instead, that would give me another 6 weeks of training and have my body feeling 100%. I should still be able to run well if I end up racing this weekend. The work is done, I'm confident I'll run a low 69 but I don't want to do any damage that could jeopardize running well later on this season. If I can change to the Scotiabank half, I'll jump into the Mundy Pond 5km to get some Timex points and do it as a workout, running it around 15:20 or so and then doing something else afterwards, maybe another 5km at 15:30 or some shorter intervals see what the coach says but regardless I'll be doing something this weekend.

Tely 10 2014


For my local readers within the greater St. John's area or the province I'm sure the majority of you will have the tely 10 circled as your key race of the season. Well, after heading out on the course Friday morning myself for a workout and seeing a couple hundred of you making your way down Topsail Rd. It made me want to toss up a blog post on your best bet in terms of training for those of you looking to run your fastest tely 10 to date.

The 10 mile distance is a strange one to train for. In running, after 800m races everything else is almost solely aerobic, so the key will be developing an aerobic base. If your a runner looking to simply complete the distance without stopping what I would recommend is a hearty diet of aerobic running without much focus on paces or stressing different energy systems. The best approach in all things running is always one that involves steady progression. What I mean is don't jump into running 10 miles 4-5 days a week if you are a beginner, start with a run walk system if you need to but try to get out there for 20-25 minutes and slowly progress until you can run about 8 miles or so without stopping. If you can do this I can garantee that on race day you will be able to complete the 10 miles and have some fun on your way from Paradise to Banerman Park.

For those of you looking to run a personal best and are already avid runners I've got 2 training words of wisdom that I wish I followed myself last year, maybe I'd be boasting a better PR then the one that currently haunts my dreams.

1 - Lactate threshold development,

2 - Race pace specific training.

For you seasoned runners these two terms certainly aren't anything new, but trust me you can't rely only on your VO2 power or speed over a race of 10 miles, believe me I've tried. Last year I had the mentality of  hanging out for a while. Going with the leaders, sitting until a mile to go and just closing with a fast last mile like I did in the Mews 8km. It didn't work ha, you can't use your speed if your anaerobic trying to hang on at the 8 mile mark....needless to say I won't make that mistake again.

The 10 mile race is one where you will be building up a lot of lactic acid as you begin to get into the later stages of the race, and those runners who have trained their bodies to clear that lactate at a fast rate and have that line pushed down closer to their maximal velocity at VO2 max will be the ones getting the most out of themselves on race day over 10 miles or the half marathon distance.

The best way of training this energy system is without a doubt going by your heart rate. Start with 20 minute sessions in your lactate zone and I'd eventually suggest doing sessions as long as 40 minutes, it doesn't have to be done all at once, you can break in down in segments like 4X10 minutes or 2X20 with 1-2 minutes recovery do break up the monotony of the session. But in my mind this is the key to running to your potential over the 10 mile distance. I know for me I've started doing longer tempo runs and more race paced intervals and it seems to be helping so this is definitely something to spend time on.

As for race specific training, you should be able to figure out about how fast you can run for 10 miles based on a recent 10km performance with the use of a pace calculator the likes of which can be found online or at the back of Daniels Running Formula. Using this, extrapolate your race pace and then begin working in that zone. This should be very near your lactate threshold pace for a decently trained runner. A general rule of thumb is that your lactate pace is about what you can race for an hour. So for people who run about 17:30 for 5km they should be running about 6 minute pace. Start with shorter sessions like 5X4minutes at race pace with 90 seconds recovery and slowly work up until you are doing longer intervals such as 3X2miles or even 3X3miles at goal race pace.

Anyway I just wanted to briefly touch on the Tely 10, we are about 13 weeks out from this historical race. The registration just opened so head on over to www.nlaa.ca and sign up. I'll make sure I put up some more instalments about the tely 10 and how best to plan your build up and what not.


JJ's Weekly Training Wrap Up




As always this is strait from Jeremiah! Thanks bud!

  • Monday - 16km easy in 62:31 felt pretty good
    Tuesday - 2.5 mile warm up. 4.5 mile tempo at 4:55 pace. Went through 7k in 21:21. This felt really good actually. 2.5 mile warm down. 15.3km
    Wednesday - 16km easy in 62:31 and then an easy 7.5km with a running group that night.
    Thursday - 16km in 62:10 felt really good
    Friday - 16.4km in 68:55 with David just getting ready for tomorrow!
  • Saturday- 4.2km warm up. The workout was 10min, 7.5min, 5min, and 2.5min all at 10km race pace with 3min rest. We went through 2 miles in 9:35. For the 7.5min section we went 2.47km as we had to climb a 400m inclined stretch. Went through the mile in 4:49 for the 5 min section and went through 800 in 2:19 for the 2:30 section. This probably is the best workout on this section. I have a 2 mile loop which is undulating and has a 300m down hill stretch and a 400m uphill stretch and then rolls a bit. I'm guessing it shows 30:40 10k shape.

  • Sunday- 23km nice and easy in 1:35 in the trails which are very hilly as well.
  • Total is 127km for the week or 79 miles. Huge jump up from last week and will hit another 5km up next Saturday


This week in training. (this is going to seem lame/slow after reading JJ's ha)


Sunday

Race - Yonge Street 10km, obviously a solid effort and a PB of 31:17. Very happy with where I am in training for mid April.

9.6 miles with race, warm up and cool down - AM
8 miles easy on the treadmill - PM

Monday

9 miles easy - AM
OFF - PM

Tuesday

4.8 miles easy - AM
13.2 miles with strides - PM

Wednesday

Workout - 3X1mile off 2:30 recovery + 10X1minute hills. This went well and it was a super nice day outside so I was in shorts and a t-shirt for the first time this season. I wanted to average 4:45's for the miles but ended up going 4:43, 4:45, 4:42 and feeling really good while running them. Had I pushed it I could have run them all under 4:40. I think I'm ready to go under 15 for 5km on a track, I'll try to do 5X1mile off 90 seconds rest at exactly 4:45 soon. If I can do that I'll know I'm ready. I then did 5X1minute hills. My hamstring/glute was really hurting on this so I decided to call it. Here are the splits  http://connect.garmin.com/splits/481001308

10.4 miles with workout - AM
6.8 miles easy - PM

Thursday

8.1 miles really easy - AM
10.3 miles - PM

Friday

Workout - I was going to do a 10 mile tempo but I was weary of my hamstring so I decided to do a hard tempo the first 5 miles of the Tely course. I didn't have paces in mind but I wanted to run hard I ended up averaging 5:00/mile pace and running 25:02. The first 5 miles are a net loss in elevation so I'd give it an effort of 5:05 pace. The first mile uphill was 5:18 but the next 4 I averaged 4:56 pace and was moving really well. I didn't feel the hamstring much but I was being careful to not really hammer the downhills too much either. Great workout though.

12.6 miles with workout - AM
7.1 miles - PM

Saturday

8.3 miles with some strides - AM (Felt pretty stiff)
10 miles easy - PM.


So as you can see that's a large week (118.2 miles) and a lot of quality running which might explain the hamstring/glute issue. I'm pretty durable so I'm sure if I don't hammer too hard the next couple days I'll be fine. 

On another note Matt Noseworthy is back which is awesome, we are going to be training together this summer, actually we just finished a long run. He's a talent and runs for the University of Victoria. Matt has a ton of speed so the hope is he will be able to really help me out and drag me along on the shorter workouts and I'll be able to lend a hand to him on the longer intervals like mile repeats and tempo runs. The first thing we need to do is get him his standard for the Jr Nationals, so the first 5000m twilight race I'll pace him to a sub 15:20 so he will have that out of the way. Look for him to jump into some road races and the Tely this year too. Watch out, this kid can run!

I guess that's all for this instalment, everyone be sure to tune in tomorrow and watch my girl Lanni Marchant mix it up at Boston, she's going to kill it. And let's all keep in our hearts the victims of last years tragedy. #bostonstrong #runnersunitedforboston

Thanks for reading friends, see you next time,
Dave

Cool pic from a 1500m that Naomi took! 

No comments:

Post a Comment