Sunday, 22 June 2014

Week of training Sunday June 15th - Saturday June 21 + JJ's weekly training wrap up and 3 key Tely 10 workouts to make sure your ready to roll on race day!

Hey friends,

Well I've gotten myself back on track after that nasty flu. I still have it lingering on my chest which is kind of annoying but as Tony Soprano says "whaddaya gonna' do?". Just keep pushing forward and get the most out of yourself on each day when you train I guess. I'm going to be racing a 10km this coming Saturday, it's time to just suck it up and race regardless of how I'm feeling. The course appears to be relatively good although I haven't run it before but I should be able to go out and roll something in the 31's regardless of conditions. We shall see how it goes.



Let me also give a shout out to everyone who rolled the Scotibank Vancouver Half this morning, beaut of a race man, my Saucony Canada teammates David Jackson had a solid run of 68 minutes good for 7th (David is JJ's training partner, so you know David is a beast, JJ says he normally gets into the 66's for the half each season when he hits a good one). And also shout out to Kate for coming second in the women's race rolling a 76. Kate's nails man, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think with more 5km-10km specific work Kate could run a 74 half on the right day. I know the big goal is STWM on the 19th of October so I'm sure shes grinding out a ton of longer strength based intervals. Look for more great races to come from Kate. Last but not least, another Suacony Teammate Marilyn Arsenult came in a few second behind Kate for 3rd place women, she is a heck of a runner (running in the 45-49 age group). Look for her this fall to lower her own Canadian masters Marathon record!


3 great workouts to prepare for the Tely 10.


With just 5 weeks left until the biggest road race in Newfoundland the Tely 10 Mile. I figured I would share with you 3 key workouts that will have you ready to run a new personal best. 1 is a classic that I've taken from the legendary Mr. Art Meany (Past Tely 10 champ and owner of a 51:53 personal best on the course) and the other two are just sound workouts that will help for the 10 mile or half marathon distance.

1 - 5 or 6X1mile on the Tely course mile 7-8. This is the hardest part of the course with a substantial uphill at a point in the race where we normally start to hurt. Doing this will really help build your confidence to know that you can hold your goal pace when the going gets tough. I would suggest running 6 repeats, up and back so you get 3 on the way up the hill and 3 down. Make sure you run them at goal race pace and keep the recovery around 2 minutes.

2 - 3 or 4X2miles at goal race pace with a 3 minute recovery. This is strait forward, you run the pace you've been training at for the tely, the pace you hope to hold on race day. You should be able to do this if you hope to run this pace for 10 miles. You will feel the last 2 mile rep if you do 4 sets but you will get through it. I've done this once myself at 10km pace just to feel a little faster then race pace but running it a 10 mile goal pace will set you up great for race day.

3 - A steady state tempo run at your goal race pace. I've worked up to doing a 40 minute tempo at a little slower then my goal race pace. I call this a support run. It was about 5-6 seconds per mile slower then I plan to run on race day but under ideal circumstances I'll only be running for 50-51 minutes so doing 40 minutes at that pace would be too hard of a session to do mid week. However I've done sessions of 3X15minutes at my goal race pace with 3 minutes recovery. I would recommend trying your hand at a 20 minute sustained tempo run at your goal race pace. At 5 weeks out this should be no trouble. You can do this once a week and add 5 minutes as the weeks go on. They can also be split up like 2X15 minutes or 2X20. For faster runners who will be running under 60 minutes I wouldn't recommend anything longer then 35-40 minutes at race pace but for runners who are closer to 80 minutes you can certainly do longer sessions.

I hope this helps. Feel free to comment below if you need any clarification or if I can help out with any other workout ideas!


JJ's Weekly Training Wrap Up




JJ had one HECK of a week, when he gets himself into a race....oh man it's going to be epic. His session of 10X1km makes me hurt just thinking about it off 60 seconds rest. Thanks as always man! Gives us normal runners something to shoot for! :)

Monday - 18km in 64:40 passed 10 miles in 57:37 and 16km in 57:22. Averaged 5:46 mile pace.

Tuesday - 17.1km in 66 minutes. Felt pretty run down still.

Wednesday - 4km warm up, drills and strides. 8km tempo in 24:10 then did a 5km warm down. Felt off still and was  planning on 9km at this pace but was feeling not the best at 8km so I called it. Hopefully things get better for this Saturday as I do have a hard one planned. PM did an easy 4km run with a group.


Thursday - 17km easy in 66 minutes. Felt not too bad from the workout.

Friday - 16km in 61:51. Just getting ready for tomorrows workout and I’m starting to feel a bit better which is great.

Saturday - 4.5km warm up. 10x1km with 60 seconds rest in 2:56 2:57 2:56 2:56 2:58 2:56 2:55 2:56 2:55 2:55. Average of 2:56 which is what I was hoping for. I was very happy with this session and hope this strength will help me in three weeks. 4.5km warm down.

Sunday - 12 mile run or 19.3km... 71:46. I had to stop three time on this run as my lower back was stiff and out the entire time. Went through 10 miles in 59:45.
Total is 127.7km or 79.5 miles. Very solid week with one good tempo and a great interval session. Next week will be a 20min tempo @ 12.5mph and 16x400 on the track with 60 seconds rest.


My week in training,


Sunday

8 miles on the treadmill at my hotel - AM
10 miles easy when I got back to St. John's - PM

Monday

Workout - 20X400m at 5km pace with 45 seconds jog recovery (I shuffled down the homestretch and back between reps) I averaged right on 70 seconds for the workout. Now granted I know that 70 second pace is 14:35 and I'm not fit enough to run that even on the track but I think I can run 14:50 no problem on the track with someone with me. The pace felt really good. I'm normally ripping out 400's starting at 65 and working down to 60 seconds but that's with close to 2 minute rests as I tend to use 400m jogs. This session was more speed specific. I felt drained after tho. This flu is hard to shake and doing workouts seems to compromise the immune system that much more so I didn't do any morning run, just this workout

OFF - AM
13.2 miles with workout - PM

Tuesday

5.2 miles shuffle, really slow, coughing up a lung - AM
10.4 miles - PM

Wednesday

Workout - I did some feel good mile repeats just at half marathon pace. I was feeling really whipped but wanted to do them and see how I felt. No fireworks here at all. I ran them all in 5:15. Ideally when I do have an opportunity to run a good half which by the looks of things now will have to be STWM 1/2 on October 19th with my boys Joe and Jason while they do the full. I'll want to be able to run in the mid to high 1:08's so I've got to be running 5:15ish/mile to make that happen. I'll have to split 10km's in 32:45ish. I'll have to put some specific work in as that race draws closer. Anyway I did 5X1mile just nice and easy at 5:15. Nothing to write home about I just didn't want to feel like crap after a workout where I'd been feeling so sick.

4 miles - AM
11.3 with workout - PM

Thursday

Off - AM
10.3 miles - PM

Friday

Made the call about the race, decided to squeez in a workout before the long weekend and met up with Joe at the track, we did a nice ladder session of 4X200m, 2X400m, 2X800m, 2X1mile, 2X800m, 2X400m, 4X200m. The 200's and 400's had a 200m recovery jog and everything else was a 400m jog recover. I ran this session pretty well, I was starting to come around a bit by Friday. The 200's were 29's and 30's. The 400's were 63-65 the 800's between 2:15-2:18 and the miles were 4:50 and 4:42 (I went conservative on the first one because I had crushed an 800's right before it.)

11.4 miles with workout - AM
6.2 miles - PM

Saturday

Attempted long run but felt a little sick again - AM
Off - PM

So that's a pretty good week for not feeling 100%. Lot's of work has been put in the past few months. I'm just waiting to let it come out now in a race. So like I said I switched some things around and I'll be running a 10km on Saturday which should be good fun. I'm just enjoying the weekend now and some time away from the hard training grind. The thing with this sport I think is that we tend to get so consumed by it. Everything comes down to numbers.....the mileage, the splits, the race times......it can really grind and wear on you. So I'm trying to bring things back a bit and just relax this week then have a solid race this weekend before putting in two weeks of good work before the Mews 8km. I really want a sub 25 on that this year!

Alright friends, I'll check in with a post about Wednesday!
Run hard,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment