Sunday, 6 July 2014

Week of training Sunday June 29th - Saturday July 5th + JJ's weekly training wrap up + The diamond league season continues.

Hello again,

I hope your all training hard and getting yourselves ready for the tely 10 or whatever your next race is. I'm putting in work and grinding away. I've decided to keep the training going the next two weeks rather then tapering down for the Mews 8km and then once again for the tely. I'd love to jump into the race and get that sub 25 minute 8km but it's really not something that makes sense for me as far as the scheduling is. The last 2 years I've run the race (and it's a great one by the way, I recommend anyone in town who's running the tely to jump on over to the Athletics Northeast website and sign up!). But for me personally I've had great performances there and then bombed the tely 10 two weeks later, the problem being I have to taper back my training and stop workouts basically the whole month of July when it comes to being rested for the race and then recovering for the next one. This year I know how the race will play out anyway, my teammate Colin Fewer will take the race out and run 24:00-24:20. I know where I am fitness wise and I can't go with that kind of pace and come through 5km in 15:00-15:10 and expect to not blow up the last 3km heck I'd be stoked with that for a road 5km as it is. I've split 5km in a 10km early this year in 15:23 and managed to hold things together, and I've come through in 15:47 and felt like a million bucks, so the fastest I'd be willing to go out is 15:20-15:25 and that would put me right in no mans land, too far away from Colin to help him out or give chase and I'd be well clear of whoever would be in 3rd with little motivation to keep pushing when I'd get to the point where I'm hurting bad. So as much as I want a fast 8km I want a fast tely 10 more. So I'll sit this one out and keep working hard for the next 2 weeks.

Paris Diamond League - Meeting Areva


What a barn burner this one was. In my mind Jenny Simpson stole the show and ran the race of her life. I wish Galen had used that same strategy and took the race by the throat on his own when the pace makers dropped out. When Jenny found herself in the lead at 900m into the womens 1500 she put the pedal down and made it even quicker, imidiatly she and Sifan Hassan opened some daylight on the chase pack and the distance kept growing as with each 100m that passed Jenny turned the screw a little more. with 150 to go Hassan moved wide and passed her but she fought hard to the line and was rewarded with a silly fast new 1500m PB of 3:57.2 on .1 of a second away from the American record held by convicted doper Mary Slaney, so for the record she holds the "clean" AR. I think she has more in the tank and will run something in the 3:56's before the season is out.

The other 2 races that had me on the edge of my computer chair was the mens 800m and 5000m. In the 800m we saw the gangly Olympic and World Champ gold medalist Asbel Kiprop run a world leading 1:43.3 which is just bananas considering he had a slow start off the line and just smoothly worked his way up through the field over the 2 lap race. What I loved was that he held off 1:41 man Nigel Amos. Watching him come down the strait and holding solid form while the 800m runner started rocking back and forth and breaking down biomechanically.....the 1500m strength paid off. (Granted it wasn't a pace like sometimes gets set by Matt Sherer when Rudishia is in the field spliting 48 low the first 400) But it was an epic race. I will enjoy watching Kiprop go after Hicham's 1500m world record of 3:26:00. I'm torn about weather he can do it or not, he ran 3:27.7 last year, but 1.7 seconds is a lifetime in the 1500m......

The men's 5000m really let me down. I saw the pace maker sheets that was circulating in the media and they had asked for 3km in 7:42 which is 12:50 pace but that never happened and it got tactical. I wish Rupp had pulled a Jenny Simpson, he needs to realize as good of a kicker as he has become hes not going to out-kick the top of the food chain 5000m guys, like the world's numbers 1 through 5. He can however use his 26:44 10km strength and make it really fast where maybe a 57 second last 400m would be enough to win. Edwin Soy just outclassed everyone running to a 12:59 even out-kicking the young Ethiopian Alimerew 


JJ's Weekly Training Wrap Up.



No surprise here, JJ kills it again this week with two incredible sessions, that 16X400 makes me tired looking at it. Thanks buddy.

Monday - 17km in 70 minutes with David Jackson. Nice and easy for the race tomorrow.
Tuesday - 20km total. 6 km warm up on the course. 10.3km trail race in 33:11 for the win. This was probably the hilliest course I have ever run in my life but was pleased with the effort. I would have been a couple of minutes faster on the roads for sure. 4km warm down
Wednesday - 18km in 65 minutes. Pretty tired from the race yesterday.
Thursday - 17.1km easy on the treadmill in 66 minutes.
Friday - 18.3km in 75 minutes with David. Felt pretty ragged from the work week to be honest
Saturday - 17.3km total at Burnaby Lake. I was feeling relaxed running 3:28’s so I kept it there the whole time. 60:11 was my total time.
Sunday - 2 mile warm up and half a mile of drills and strides. 16x400 with 60 seconds rest. I averaged 64 for the workout and ended with a 63. This is probably one of the best workouts I have ever done on the track and shows I’m ready to pop a fast one. 2 miles of warming down. Actual splits are below 65 64 64 64 65 64 64 64 64 64 65 64 65 64 64 63
Summary - 121.5km this week or 76 miles. It’s taper time yet again this week as I’m looking to try and run something quick this coming Sunday. Two solid sessions and I will do a 6km tempo at sub 3 min km pace on the treadmill Wednesday to keep my legs sharp.


My week in training


Sunday

14.7 miles easy - AM
3.2 miles - PM

Monday

OFF - AM
OFF - PM (didn't feel good Monday, with the race and what not on Saturday)

Tuesday

Workout - 45 minute tempo on the treadmill at 12.1 mph. This was a really good session and I think will help for the tely. I had done 40 minutes at 12.0 a couple weeks ago so I wanted to change a variable and run it at 12.1 but I got to 40 and decided to push on for another 5 minutes, awesome session but so much sweat everywhere.....lol.

4.5 miles - AM
12.6 miles with workout - PM

Wednesday

9.1 miles - AM
11.6 miles - PM

Thursday

Workout - 7X1km off 90 seconds rest, the legs felt tired after the tempo but I gutted this one out. I should have used 60 seconds rest but I'll do that this week when i try for 10X1km at 3:00. Anyway this was a good workout that averaged 2:55-2:56. Basically ran 70 second quarters.

4.7 miles - AM
13 miles with workout - PM

Friday

6 miles at a shuffle - AM
13 miles - PM

Saturday

Long run with Joe, I was going to pace him for his workout but we decided on a long run around all the ponds instead, nice and easy nothing crazy here just some good aerobic running.

16 miles - AM
5 miles - PM


Well that was my week, I only had 2 real workouts but I had an awesome session today of 3X2miles with my boy Jason (he killed it btw, best I've ever seen him run). But that will be on next weeks training log. So yeah, just going to put 2 more BIG weeks in then taper down for the Tely, JJ helped me figure out the best workouts to use so I can execute well on race day exactly 3 weeks from now.

Thanks for reading,
Keep your sticks on the ice,
Dave





No comments:

Post a Comment