Sunday, 16 November 2014

Week of Training Monday November 10th - Sunday November 16th + JJ's Weekly Wrap Up + Winter Jacket Breakdown

Hello folks, I hope everyone is well and your enjoying some good fall running. I'm enjoying it so much. I love the colder temperatures and I'm especially enjoying my new training under Coach Johnston ;). This coming week will bring with it my first workouts of this new segment. I wont spoil them as you'll have to tune in next Sunday to see if I survive but I'm jazzed to get after it. I'm feeling so much better at my current volume. We had my mileage at 88.1 this week. (it was scheduled for 87 but I had some strides and a little extra on a 10 miler. But it was all good running. Nothing over about 6:20-6:30/mile and a nice mid week 12 miler at 5:47 pace for good measure. Things are going well folks, so onwards!

This week in the world of running.


Listen guys, I'm a running junkie, it's bad. I mean I'm thinking about running at work, while I eat, while I'm spending time with my lady friend, you name it, I'm pretty much thinking about running. And this time of the year is ALL about Cross Country. This weekend saw the NCAA regionals play out. It's basically a play-offs of sorts to see who goes to the "big dance" as they say on letsrun.com. There is so much depth in the NCAA right now, it's an exciting time to be a running fan. I don't know if I'm more excited for the team battles or the overall individual battles that will happen at Terre Haute. The story's that course could tell.....the battle between Sam Chelanga and Galen Rupp in 09, Our own Cam Levins vs Chris Derrik in 2012, and last year Kennedy Kenthuka taking it out at 27 minute 10km pace and get caught by the freshmen phenom Endward "King" Cheserek. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I'm so amped up to watch it this year. I predict Oregon goes 1-2 with Cheserek and Jenkins (13:18 5km man). And the team title stays with the C.U Buff's. The legendary program of coach Mark Wetmore will prove to be too much for anyone else to deal with. Too many long runs on Mag's at 7400 feet elevation....nobody will have more in the top 10 then C.U. Tune in and watch some SICK running.

On another note congrats to my friends who raced the Athletics Ontario XC Provincial Champs today. Great to see Matt Loisell back running well. Also, shout out to my boy Rejean on a return to form. He has been dealing with some injuries/struggling to feel good with his running the past year or so and in the mean time has helped launch an awesome store in downtown T.O. BlackToeRunning. Check it out if your in the area and be sure to check out his group that he coaches Pace and Mind. Big things happening from them. (Rejean is a beast 2:17 Marathon Debut in 2011.) Last shout out goes to my boy Garret De Jong. This guy is nails man, We always seem to run together for most of the races we race in then he toasts me the last mile or so. I guess him being a 3:55 1500m man explains this. Keep killing it man, I'll see you on the line in April!

Last point is that Saucony's Molly Huddle won the USA Road Circuit Championchip today after winning the 12km champs. Way to go Molly. What a year, personal bests from the 5000m on the track (which was a new american record) all the way through to the half marathon. 

JJ's Weekly Training Wrap Up.

Nothing new here....JJ basically runs some 1Km repeats in crazy wind at a pace that would make a seasoned runner cringe and then a workout of 300's at 4 minute pace....no big deal. Ha, atta boy, keep it rolling.

Monday - took the day off as I haven’t had one in over a month and I was in a down week.

Tuesday - just shy of a 5km warm up with drills and strides. Workout was 10x1km off of 60 seconds at the lake. Very windy out but the workout went well. Splits were 301 259 258 257 256 258 258 257 301 257. Average of 2:58. Felt really good today despite the heavy wind I was getting. Just shy of 5km warm down. Total of 19.5km

Wednesday - 18.1km easy in 70 minutes.

Thursday - 18.1km in 69 minutes. Felt a bit tired on this one.

Friday - 17.1km easy in 66 minutes.

Saturday - Just shy of a 5km warm up with drills and strides. Workout was 16x300 with 300 jog continuous in under 90 seconds. Wow this was cold and windy but it was more of a cross wind than a head wind so I was a bit luck. I averaged 45 seconds for these with 8 reps in 45 and 8 reps in 46. Hard workout but got it done. Just about a 5km warm down. Total of 19.3km

Sunday - Did a very nice and easy 13 miles in 1:24. I needed a fairly easy one as I was pretty soar from yesterday.

Total of 113km or 71 miles. Very happy with the two workouts that I was able to string together. Next week I will be back in the mid 80’s for miles and will have a tempo and a longer interval workout!

 

My week that was in training


Monday

10 miles in 62:21 or 6:14 pace - AM
30 minute swim - PM

Tuesday

10.06 miles in 62:11 or 6:12 pace - AM
5 miles in 31:37 or 6:17 pace then 10X100m in 13/14 seconds each - PM

Wednesday

12.09 miles in 69:47 or 5:47 pace - AM
Gym for some planks and hip mobility work - PM

Thursday

10.07 miles in 64:33 or 6:27 pace - AM
OFF - PM

Friday

10.42 miles in 66:32 or 6:19 pace - AM
5.08 miles in 31:03 or 6:11 pace followed by 10X100m in 13/14 seconds - PM

Saturday

10.04 miles in 62:28 or 6:14 pace - AM
OFF - PM

Sunday

13 miles in 1:23:44 or 6:21 pace - AM
OFF - PM (By off I mean I'm typing this and stuffing my face as I'm cold and hungry ha)


So that was my week. We hit 88 miles there and felt good doing it. The average pace is coming down and next week I've got two nice workouts on the books and the miles will hit 90. Let's "let it ride" as they say. Pumped to get after a workout.


Let's talk winter/cold weather running jackets


As you guys are all aware our winters are nasty. And while I did invest in a good treadmill a couple years ago I don't want to be on it running 90-120mile weeks. So one of the most important things is a good jacket. Last year I was all about my Saucony Nomad jacket. It kept me warm during all kinds of weather from hail, rain, snow to heavy winds. But this year I've decided to try out the whole line up of winter jackets that Saucony has for winter 2014/2015. I'm not saying you need them all, in fact one of these bad boys will serve you just fine but I figured I'd break them down so you can see for yourself what you might need and what works best for your running plans this winter.

Saucony Razor Jacket



This is like the Rolls Royce of winter running jackets. It's not just water resistant but water proof as well as wind proof. So you can head out in anything and stay dry. It has a ventilated back pannel so you don't overheat and fits really well. This is what I'll be wearing for 90% of my runs this year. When I talked to Colin at the CIS race and saw he had his on I mentioned how it was an awesome jacket and his response was "my new favourite" which is precisely what JJ said when he got his. Check this one out, you won't be disapointed. Here is the link for all the specs  http://www.saucony.com/en/razor-jacket/14006M.html?dwvar_14006M_color=SA81007-BK


Saucony Nomad Jacket 



The Nomad jacket is the "work horse" of the line in my opinion. I ran in this jacket all last winter and it took care of me. This year it has some minor changes with the addition of thumb holes, flexshield, and some different pockets. This jacket is water ressistant and wind proof. It's a great piece to have for this winter. It will keep you warm and sheltered from the elements. Like I said, it's a work horse and get's the job done day in, day out. Here is the link to view it - http://www.saucony.com/en/nomad-jacket/11883M.html?dwvar_11883M_color=SA81009-CRBBLF


Sonic Reflex Jacket



The Sonic Reflex Jacket is all about visibility with the new ViZiGlow technology. It has a reflective pattern running throughout the jacket and as soon as light hits it, well it lights up big time. During this time of the year we are almost always doing some of our running in the dark because of work schedules and other obligations so it's smart to have something like this on to garantee that vehicles can see you when your out there getting those miles in. In terms of the jacket, it has a DMR coating so it's water resistance and it definitely breaks the wind well too. And, it's also just super cool looking. I had this on when I was out for a run with Jon Lodge this week, and if Jon says "that's a good looking jacket" well, I mean it's got to be. (For those of you who don't know Lodge....he's a legend, just "livin' the dream"). Here is the link to this one - http://www.saucony.com/en/sonic-reflex-jacket/14008M.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default


Alright friends, that's long enough for this week hey. No need to go writing a short story blog entry. Thanks for stopping by and I'll be back mid week to break down NCAA's!

Keep your sticks on the ice,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment