Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Week of training Monday April 27th - Sunday the 3rd

Hey everyone, hows your week going? Did you guys get a chance to tune in to Payton Jordan last weekend? It did not disappoint let me tell you. Performance of the meet HAD to be Justyn Knight, that dude is an absolute stud man. I remember on the trackie boards we were getting into the debate of Proudfoot vs Knight. Well we got our answer last weekend. (Before I go a step further let me just say I think Ross is a beast, and an awesome dude who is going to have a bright future in the sport). But Knight is still a Junior and has run sub 4 indoors, 3:39 for 1500m and now 13:34. I mean just think about that for a minute. He's 4 years younger then Ross and from everything I heard he didn't have a huge training background behind him before going into college. The sky is the limit for this kid. What a great time for Canadian mid/distance running.

Some other performances of note were Natasha Wodak throwing it down in the 10000m and running the Canadian record of 31:42. I didn't think she would run that fast but man I'm stoked she did. Congrats Natasha, you deserve it after hanging tough in 2014. More big things to come I'm sure. Also Lanni ran 31:46 which is no joke either so Kudos to her for throwing down.

Now even though those 10000m performances got a lot of the coverage what about Jess O'Connell? She ran 15:06 in the 5000m which is actually a superior performance to those 10000m times. Jess continures to get better season after season. It's exciting to see how she will do at Worlds this year and in Rio.

Last two shout outs go to Matty Hughes running the 5000 and getting a huge PB of 13:19. Could Matt take down the Canadian 5km record before Levins? It was pretty epic seeing him go to the lead at the bell with some big boys and go for the win. Finally, Peter Corrigan had a nice run in the second heat of the 5000m (13:46 I believe). Good to see him get rewarded for what seems like some heavy training with the likes of Nate and Matt.

So this really sets up some story lines going into 2015/2016. It's amazing to see the depth of talent we have right now from the 800 on up to the 10000m. We haven't even talked about the Steeple, Genest and Milne ran super strongly and Hughes hasn't even opened up yet. You also can't sleep on Winter who is a beast over the barriers.

Anyway that's enough rambling from me, on to the training recap.

Week that was in training

Monday

11 miles easy on the treadmill at 6:30 pace - AM
OFF - PM

Tuesday

AM - OFF
(Was travelling so no workout) 11 miles on the treadmill again at 6:30 pace - PM

Wednesday

Workout - 10 miles on the treadmill at 5:00/mile on a 0% incline. This wasn't something I had planned. Coach had me down for something different on Tuesday but with the travel I figured this was a good strong aerobic workout. The actual effort was worth 5:13/mile which is right at half marathon pace so at the very least it was a great workout for the half champs in Calgary in a little over 3 weeks. I was sweating like you wouldn't believe it was brutal going that long on the treadmill. My mouth got really dry the last 10-15 minutes 


2 miles warm up, 10 miles tempo, 3 mile cooldown - AM
OFF - PM

Thursday

12 miles steady state on the trails at 5:41 pace, this was a challenge as my legs were still heavy - AM
OFF - PM

Friday

10 miles easy at 6:42/mile pace - AM
5 miles easy at 6:19/mile pace + 10X100m strides - PM

Saturday

Track Workout - 16X400m off 1 minute rest. I got out way too hard for the first two and went 61 and 63. I knew it would be a long day if I didn't dial it back. I started to hit 65's and 64's the rest of the way but it was beyond a suffer fest, my 1 minute "jog" quickly turned into shuffling 50 meters down the home stretch and back. I managed to finish the workout but it wasn't pretty my form was breaking down and I muscled the last 3. The work I've done on my speed through drills, strides and hill sprints has definitely helped. I never used to be able to drop a sub 60 second 400 whenever I felt like it. Now I can't go out and run a set in under 60 or anything. But my speed is so far ahead of anywhere it's been before. I don't know if this will even help any other distances but I've always thought having good 400m speed can only help.

5km warm up + 4 miles of work with minimal "jog" rest + 5km warm down - AM
OFF - PM

Sunday

16 miles Long Run with Lodgy on the trails. That legend is getting fit. I sort of low balled him on our splits when he would hear my watch going off when we would hit the mile. He wanted to run it at 7:00/mile pace as he's on the comeback trail but we actually averaged 6:34/mile pace. I was just trying to keep it discreet ha. Thanks for the company Johnny!

16 miles - AM
OFF - PM




Alright thats it for me in terms of training. I feel really good right now, I've yet to produce any blazing fast times or anything this season on the roads. a low 15, a mid 15 and a 31 minute 10km so I really hope that Ottawa is the one where I have that first breakthrough race of the season. Regardless I know progress is being made and I'm definitely much fitter then ever before.


Spartan Race


So one of the great guys over at Reebok Spartan Race Canada, Dan, asked me to share with you guys about their awesome race series happening all across Canada. These races are a ton of fun and for us serious runners its a chance to get out for a weekend warrior race with a group of friends and have some fun. I'll link to their site here - http://spartanracemedia.com/ca/  and I'll also attach a video below. If any of you guys are interested I've got a free race entry to giveaway so you can post a comment below if you'd like to get in on that and I'll pick somebody at random and send the free entry your way!




Alright friends, that's it for me, thanks ever so much for stopping by. I'll leave with a few pictures as I like when I read other peoples blogs and they have pictures showing that they do more then just bang out the miles week in week out. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't do much more then that ha, I work, run, spend time with my girlfriend Hilary (who now checks my blog and makes fun of my poor punctuation and writing ability), binge watch shows online, watch hockey, listen to podcasts, eat an ungodly amount of food and sleep. That stuff happens in no particular order or amount but it is what it is ha. 

Over and out,
Dave

My dog's new friend Jacob the Blue Jay. He comes daily for a snack and a chat.

Popper finishing up a mile repeat on my road loop

"How was that coach?"


Finally the weather is good enough to get my summer rims on my 2013 Audi S3 SLine (It's sooo dirty, next up is a good wash and wax)

Just happy to have some good weather to clean it up.

Post workout Burger King? I think so...

Making a popcorn run for Hilary and spent like 20$ on chocolate....#struggle

Invite to the dinner in Ottawa Friday night. It's possible I'm the slowest on the elite start list. 20 guys have run under 30 minutes....Let's hope I can mix it up as best I can and pick off a few guys going out too hard. Anything in the 30's will be a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to win the Spartan entry if it is still available! - goldbreeze@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete