Monday, 29 June 2015

24:07 8km PB, USA's, Week in training and off to Miami.

Hey ladies and gents. How goes it? I'm sure your all bombing around the roads, trails and track and loving every minute of it. I wanted to get this post up tonight as I'm flying out tomorrow morning to Miami which has been a long time coming ha. As I mentioned a couple posts ago, originally we booked the trip for a few days after the Calgary half but my office has been really short staffed as of late with a ton of the my colleagues taking vacation around the same time. And with most of them being a good bit older then I am, and with families I didn't mind pushing my plans a few weeks to help out and keep the place running smoothly. I actually started managing some accounts for the first time and took on some new responsibilities so it was actually good to learn some of the other stuff that we handle at our branch. Anyway, I'll try to keep this short and sweet. But I'll be keeping up to date with the blog over the next 3 weeks or so. It may not be as detailed though, and more reliant upon funny stories and pictures so if you don't mind sticking around for that then please do! :).

St. Mary's 8km


So as I mentioned last week, I had planned to race an 8km this past weekend. I felt like I could definitely run 4:55 pace comfortably for 5 miles as I've done 4 mile tempos on the roads at that pace but I was a little nervous as I felt like I haven't been duplicating my workout performances in races this season yet. I mean I had a couple races that I was certainly pleased with performance wise but my times have not been where I wanted them. Anyway, I wanted to go out in 4:55 for the first couple miles and if that felt easy then pick it up the last 3. 

That was NOT what happened. I noticed during my warm up I had a lot of spring in my legs and felt good but I wanted to stick with my plan. As soon as the race starts a guy takes off sprinting ahead of me....now, looking at the field before the race I figured I should be able to take control and execute my game plan and run by myself . But there was some great runners on the line like Peter Power (53:02 10miler and 25:24 8km PB) Mark Hayward (54:10 10miler and 26:02 8km PB) along with many others. But sure enough a guy takes off like a bat out of hell. At that moment, my game plan was gone. I immediately started hammering too, now this guy obviously just misjudged himself because a minute in it sounded like he was after running an all out 400. I would imagine we had to be 68/69 for 400. Anyway, I soon found myself alone heading towards the 1k marker and passed by it in 2:55 feeling pretty good so I just kept motoring along until I saw my watch's 1mile split that showed 4:39, far too rich for my blood. That's 5000m race pace, at that point I figured I'd roll the dice for another little while. At the 2km I was 5:50 and breathing hard for that early in the race so I tried to take it back a little bit but I seemed to be locked in at that point. I came through 3km in 8:49 and tried to relax my body and run smoothly. I missed the 4km split but had 2 miles at 9:25 and then split 5km in 14:50 which was my fastest time on a road. But I was really starting to suffer and I knew there was no way I could cover the last 3km in 9 minutes, but I tried my best to battle. The 6th and 7th K's were around 3:03's and the last one which has a little uphill was 3:10. (Now the first 1km was downhill so I don't want to sound like the little rise at the end was anything to complain about, it was a great course with perfect running conditions!). But I swear that last 1km was the hardest one I've ever run.

I ended up running 24:07 basically on my own after the first 400m and was super thrilled to get a big breakthrough. I hadn't thought about it much before the race but the old course record was 24:12 and was held by a 30:24 10km/2:21 marathon guy. So I was really happy to hear I was inside the old mark.

This race gives me some big time motivation to keep training hard. I'm going to try to hammer the 5km I run this coming Saturday in Winter Park FL. I think if the temperatures aren't too ridiculous I've got a good chance at running 14:40 but again, I'll be happy with anything under 15 minutes just to get that on paper as a new road PB. We will see how things turn out, but I'll for sure keep you guys in the loop on how it goes.


Takeaways from USA's


1 - Gatlin is the man to beat this year in the 100/200. I can't see how he won't be the favorite. 19.59 not running through the line...that's bananas.

2 - Nick Symonds has a 1:42 PR and WC silver medal for a reason. Even running USA's mid training cycle looking to peak for world's he can take down everyone in the field. He's also a savvy entrepreneur. Notice how he had Run Gum sponsoring athletes without contracts? And each interview he puts in a quick "Well, like I talk about in my book, Inside the Oval Office...". The man is very smart and still as dominant as ever in the two lap.  

3 - Centro is soooo much better then every other miler in the US, it's just silly. He looks the same running 65 second quarters as he does running 51's. He closed his last 800m in 1:48 and it was really only his last 650m that he started moving. The guy is a threat for the gold at worlds. (I also enjoy the fact that he's kind of cocky. Not that I encourage it, but it's refreshing to see someone actually act exactly how they feel. Too often we see the same old interviews and celebrations. If we want track to be more popular, we need to make it entertaining and this kid makes it that way)

4 - Galen looked unbeatable in the 10km and almost like he was toying with the field the last 600, but he looked horrible in the 5km and was lucky to hold onto 3rd. I was impressed with how competitive he was in the DL 5000m races last year, finishing no worse then 4th in any race but this one was a different story. Ryan Hill deserved the win and I'm happy to see him as the 5km national champ.

5 - American Steeplechasing is on fire right now. That final was insane and I hope Jager grabs a medal at worlds.

6 - The American women are beasts at the 800m and any of the 3 going to Beijing have a realistic shot at a gold medal.

7 - Jenny Simpson is the worlds best 1500m right now in my mind until I see her face G. Dibaba.

8 - The women's 5km team is very weak compared to their teams in the 800, 1500 and 10000m. Nobody on that team can hang with the best in the world. There is a reason Molly Hudle, the American record holder didn't even bother to try to double. The 5000m is a shark tank. If you can't run 14:25 or faster you won't medal. Our top Canadian Jess O. would easily handle that american 5km team in my mind.

9 - By contrast, I like Molly Hudle's chances of snagging a medal in the 10km. Provided she can close in 62/63 in a mid to high 30 minute race she has a very good chance.

10 - We need more time to sort through all this NOP stuff, and it was a cloud over an otherwise fantastic weekend. 


Week that was in training.


Monday

Workout - 4X2miles off 2' rest. The goal of this session wasn't to rip the 2 miles but to do them at close to goal Tely 10 (10 mile road race) pace. Which is about 5 minute pace or a little over. So I locked in running 5 flat on my road loop with my buddy Jason who was hammering them out at his goal pace of 5:30. Anyway I hit 3 reps dead on 5:00/mile pace and was pretty drained so I ran the last rep with Jason at 5:30 pace just to get the volume of the workout in but to not go too far into a hole.

15.4 miles with warm up, workout and cool down - AM/Lunch Time
OFF - PM

Tuesday

4 mile shake out run easy - AM
Paced Joe to 4X1mile off 1' + 6X800 all at his T and MP pace, so like 5:30/5:45/mile - PM

Wednesday 

Workout - Track session with Lodgy, 3X(4X400m). 75" rest between reps and 3 minute between sets. I got spiked up and wanted to make sure the first two sets were fast but relaxed and smooth. I was (66,64,64,64), (64,64,63,62), (59,62, 61, 59). It was a battle that last set. I went way too fast on the first rep and came through 200 in 28, but after that they got back to somewhat decent running.

6 miles easy, about 7 minute pace - AM
8 miles with warm up, workout and cool down - PM

Thursday

OFF - AM
OFF - PM

Friday

10 miles easy at 6:36/mile pace - AM
OFF - PM

Saturday

8km race in 24:07 + warm up and cool down followed by fishing with my Dad - AM
10 miles easy - PM

Sunday

Long Run - 16 miles at 6:27/mile pace on the old railway bed - AM
OFF - PM



Well, I should clue this up, it's after going a little long haha. My apologies, but you guys know how I tend to ramble on these blog posts. Anyway, I'm off early tomorrow morning but I'll be instagraming, tweeting, and all that good stuff. Good luck to all my friends racing at Canadian Track champs this weekend, get out there and do your thing, I'll be cheering you all on and watching live.

Stay hungry,
Dave

video

Remember I told you guys about my buddy Jon Lodge? How he can feel the mitochondria building with each stride? Here he is after running some 400's, still feeling the fitness being built on a cellular level. (Sorry for the quality, it was taken off my instagram and then converted again for the blog) 

Essentials to go fast, Endorphin spikes, Kinvara's and some casual Shadow 5000's for the ride home. 


Peter Power, the man is 51 years old and is still killing it! He ran a 54:05 10 mile last year and should be even quicker this year. He's the Benjamin Button of running.


First off, excuse my ridiculous hair, it was flowing hard during the race. But I had to give a shout out to my awesome friend Tanya! She's making some huge gains under her coach Matt Loiselle. On Saturday she ran a 32 minute 8km. Way to go Tanya! :)


Hurting here, happy to be done and to clock a 24:07. Thanks St. Mary's for putting off a great race and to ANE for coming out and chip timing the event.


See, my hair is normally somewhat on point, I promise ha, but yeah, this was taken this afternoon. Saying bye to my little buddy. He's staying with some family when I'm gone. I'm going to miss this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment