Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Training in FL, St. Pete Running Company and Tely 10 goals

Hey friends, what's everyone been doing lately? If I had to guess I'd say logging miles, enjoying the summer and putting away lots of food and beverages. I say that because that's what I'm doing and I feel like most of you reading this are like minded runners ha. I don't have a ton of time to write a long post which is strange as most of the time I drone on and on while I'm home with a busy schedule but down here, even though I'm on vacation I don't stop much so I'll talk about what I've been doing down here, the upcoming tely 10, this awesome shop I found down here and the guy's who run it as well as run down what I've been doing training wise. You guys know I love chatting about the pro scene so I'll get back on mid week and recap everything that's been going on. But make sure you are all locked into the Monaco Diamond League this week, it's always the best meet of the year and the last two years we saw the men's 1500m won in 3:27. (Asbep Kiprop in 2013 and Silas Kiplagat in 2014). So be sure to tune into that.

2 weeks out from the Tely 10.


So, as you all know I'm from Newfoundland and our biggest race is a 10 miler known as the Tely 10. It's put off by the NLAA and it's really an awesome event. This year it's going to have around 4700 runners and the 2012 champ Matt Loiselle is coming down. Now folks, this is a guy who's run 63 minutes for the half. In 2012 he ran 48:08, so let's just call it like it is. It's a race for second ha. Matt's an awesome dude who I race against fairly often on the National Circuit. We faced off in April at the Yonge Street 10km and Matt put 1:30 on me over 10km and he did pretty much the same thing at the 10km National Champs in Ottawa at the end of May. He's making a push for the 2016 Olympics in the Marathon. So look for Matt to come down and lay down a blazing time. It's great to have such an athlete compete in the race and it helps bring more exposure to our race and the local runners who don't compete at the deep national/international races get a chance to see a top of the food chain runner.

My goals this year are pretty simple. To run FAST, really fast. The Tely 10 is a puzzle that I've yet to figure out. I've only run 53 minutes which doesn't even come close to lining up with my other personal best times but I'm entering the race this year in a different place both fitness wise and mentally. In past years I've peaked in early April and have just been hanging on until the Tely. But this year I've built slowly and have been running fast since my first goal race that I targeted in April. I feel like right now I'm at a point where I can get on that start line and run with anyone who isn't named Matt Loiselle. I'll look to run my own race and run even splits between 5:00/mile and 5:08. After my last 8km running 24:07 I know that I've got the wheels to drop some fast miles on the downhill sections and be able to buffer them well while running smoothly. I've done a ton of fast stuff this year and my speed is on another level from where it's been before. This has helped when it comes to running intervals and tempos. The turnover to run mile repeats in 4:40-4:45 feels so much smoother now that I'm doing 400's between 58-65 depending on the number and workout. So it's just a matter of getting on the line, trusting the fitness I have, make sure I use an effective taper the last 7-10 days and go out and let it rip.

I've done a 10km tempo on that course in 31:11 so I should be able to hang onto a pace about 5 seconds per mile slower then that for the full 10 miler. I'd like to move through the first 10km in 31:45 and get over the hill at 7 miles with something left in the tank, reset through mile 8 and 9 before closing the last mile as far under 5 minutes as possible. Either way, I'll know that my preparation has been excellent and that I've done all I could. Regardless of the outcome I'm going to have fun running on my home town streets with lots of my friends.

St. Pete Running Company


So, one day last week when I was at the Tyrone Square Mall, I plugged in Starbucks to my GPS and it led me to this shopping plaza. I couldn't see a Starbucks, however I did spot a running shop, so I stopped in to ask where the Starbucks was. I was met by a super friendly guy by the name of Chris McCaffrey. He told me about this super nice spot, the Craft Kafe and invited me to join he and the owner Cody on a run at some point during my trip. I emailed him and we chatted back and forth and managed to meet up this morning for a quality session of 3X(800, 400,400) off 1 minute/2minute. It was a great workout and the guys are so nice. Both, beast athletes who can run fast and are studs in the tri game as well. 

Anyway, I just had to mention it here as it's got to be one of the nicest running shops I've seen. They carry everything you would ever need and they have the knowledge to help you out with all your running needs. What was super cool was finding out Chris is a part of the Saucony Zealot team down in the US. What are the chances I stumble into a shop looking for directions and meet these two awesome dudes. 

I know a lot of my friends from back in Newfoundland like to vacation in St. Pete's during the winters. Please drop by the shop the next time your here. Chat with Chris, Cody or his wife and join them for a run. They have group runs leaving from the store twice a week. I'll attach the link to the site here - http://stpeterunningco.com/ and link to Cody's blog here - http://believeachieverunner.blogspot.com/

Cody on the left, your boy in the middle and Chris on the right. Thanks for the workout boys. We built some fitness on the track there today!


Week in training,


Monday

13 miles easy at 6:44/mile + 10' of diagonals on the football field - AM
OFF - PM

Tuesday

Workout 15X1' hills at 5km effort jogging back down to the start for recovery. I did this on the bridge near my families condo. It was perfect. I was covering about 300m and just making it to the apex of the bridge. After the hills I had a 5 minute recovery before doing 4X1threshold miles off 1' floating recovery. I did these on Pinellas Bay road 2 miles out, 2 miles back. I was between 5:05 and 5:10 on these. It felt a little harder then threshold because of the heat but my heart rate was back to normal pretty quickly on the recovery jogs.

3 mile shake out in the morning - AM
11 miles with workout - PM

Wednesday

12 miles easy around 7 minute pace - AM
OFF/Swim - PM

Thursday

13.2 miles with 10X100m strides - AM
OFF - PM

Friday

Workout - 8X1mile at tely 10 pace off 1' recovery. This went great but after the first 3 I had to switch to 90" recoveries as it was super hot and I just needed the extra time. I did this at the Lakewood High track. I locked into running 76 second quarters and pretty much each rep was 5:04/5:05. (Note I ran 1600's and not miles, so add 1 second or so for the mile times).

4 miles easy with strides - AM
workout + 2 mile warm up and cool down for 12 miles - PM

Saturday

11 miles easy at 6:40/mile pace - AM
OFF - PM

Sunday

20 mile long run. I was trying to do 16 but got lost for about 30 minutes so it ended up being about 4 miles longer. I was beyond dehydrated when I got back ha. But it was a nice run.


So the week went incredibly well in terms of training and this one is off to a great start with the workout I hit this morning with Chris and Cody. As always I'll attach a few pics below to clue things up.

Thanks for reading friends, keep those sticks on the ice,
Dave


Cool yacht that's docked near our place.


My Dad mentioned he liked my Jazz Originals so I picked up a pair for the big guy!


Beach days are pretty rad.


Sunset walking to our condo.


Sunset view from out patio


View from our bedroom patio


Helping out with a beach clean-up, Hilary's idea but it turned out to be great.



Hilary figured she would document my pile of garbage ha. God bless her do-gooder attitude ;).


Beach Sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment