Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Takeaways from the first 4 days of WC's and Training Recap

What's up friends? Sorry I didn't get a chance to break down the sprints/hurdles but I'll be honest I didn't really know much about any of the hurdles at all so it would have been a waste of time for anyone to even read my thoughts on it let alone give predictions on something I know very little about. Regardless, here we are now 4 days into the World Championships and A LOT has happened. I'll keep this post as brief as possible but I do want to give my thoughts on some of the races and following that I'll break down my week in training which went very well.

Some Takeaways from worlds


1 - Men's 10000m, firstly let me just say what's on everyone's mind who is truly a hardcore distance fan and understands the event and sport in general. This was a VERY weak and watered down field outside of the top 6 (Cam is obviously a world beater too and just had an off day. Way to stick it out pal!!). I'll speak more about this when I get to the women's race as that was even worse as far as depth of talent. Winning a medal right now in the 10k certainly doesn't mean what it did when you had Tergat and Geb battling over 25 laps or Tedesse dropping 61 second quarters mid race trying to run away from Kenny B back in Berlin in a 26:4X race. We have come to the point with so many east Africans going to the roads that the 10k just isn't very good right now. I did predict the top 3 correctly as you can see from my last post but it's not because I was lucky or anything, it's just because those are the only 3 men who are in my mind world class 10000m runners who would fair well if they raced generations past. The Kenyans did their thing and tried to dull Mo's kick with an honest pace but let's face it, heat or not your going to have to run about 26:30 to get to the point where Farah can't close any faster then about 57. I'd favor Kamworo more over Mo in a half marathon for sure but it's evident he's not a track guy and doesn't have the wheels to be competitive in anything under a 10k. I'm sorry to be so down about the 10k, and I mean, it's one of my favorite events, but those are the facts. The good news however is that the men's 5000m is still a talent rich event with guys who are absolute studs like Nadiku who's a 3:29 1500m runner. There are also fellas like Gebriwet and Gebremeskel (Both 12:4X guys) among others who will be able to put up more of a fight against Mo. I do predict he still wins with a crazy fast last lap around 52 low or something, but it will be much closer.

2 - Women's 10000m, yeah......I don't really know where to start with this if I'm honest. The two ladies who broke away in the last 300 are fantastic runners and they treated us to some great racing over the last 600m but other then that...I just couldn't get excited about this race without the likes of T. Dababa, Dafar or Kipyego being at 100%. Obviously this has to do with women going to the roads and marathoning earlier but if that's what the 10km is going to be like then I don't have much interest in watching a 31 high race like that. Do you guys remember the 10k from London? Now that's what a great 10k looks like, a nice honest pace with the strength runners clicking off 72/73 second laps trying to make it honest and run the kick out of T. Dibaba and a big time pace change over the last 1K with a last lap burn up and Dibaba having to run a sub 60 to get the win. I feel like I'm jaded now or something but that's the type of 10k I want. I do think though, that next year in Rio we will get a better field and the talent might come back for the Olympics as it's a more prestigious title. (Congrats to Lanni and Natasha though, those girls showed guts and heart out there and held their own. Way to represent!!)

3 - Men's Steeple,  Now, that's what I'm talking about, I sounded super negative about the previous two races but that's just because I care about the quality of the product that is track and field. I don't want to watch the top two in the world and then numbers 25-40 battling it out for bronze. I want all the major players and that's what we got with the Steeple. We witnessed one of the deepest fields ever assembled with the exception of that awesome French guy who put his shirt in his mouth last year at the Eropean Champs with 80m to go and got DQ'd. His name is escaping me now but with the exception of him all the big boys were there and the cream certainly did rise to the top with the legend that is Ezekiel Kemboi coming out victorious once again. This was an epic race with physical battles being won and lost going into the barriers and over the water jump. It had me on the edge of my seat. What was unreal was the speed at which Kemboi can change gears. Within a second he can have 3-4 strides on everyone and once he's in the front nobody can go by him. To close your last 400m in 56 seconds over barriers is mind blowing. I'd love to see him run a 1500 in a race like Monaco. I don't think his PB's tell the whole story on him other then his 7:55 steeple best which is pretty redonkulous. I really thought it would be Birech who would take it with Kipruto and Jager battling for 2ed and 3rd but I was certainly wrong on that one. What a race!

4 - Women's 1500m, like the men's steeple this had all the major players in it and was certainly a talent rich field (though the 1500 always is). It might not have looked that way from an outside observer but 8 of the women in the final have run sub 3:58 this season. So to have a race finish with the top 3 making everyone else look pedestrian just shows you that they are just on another level all together. But credit deserves to be given to all the women who toed the line. I can only imagine what it must feel like for them to know that the Gold isn't even up for grabs. Dibaba is just so insanely good that in everyone's heart they must have known they were racing for 2ed. To see Dibaba stride to the front, drop a 57 mid 400 from 700-1100 and then drop another sub 60 last quarter for a 1:56.9 final 800 is just beyond what my mind can even understand. All I can think about is that she could literally have won gold in the 800, 1500, 5000 and 10000m had she been able to run them all. (obviously she couldn't with scheduling). Props go the Sifan Hassan and Faith Kipyegon on outstanding closing as well. As track fans we should all step back and be grateful that we are around to watch an athlete like Genzebe Dibaba at the peak of her dominance over the sport. This is like being around to see Muhammad Ali in his prime knocking fools out all over the place. She is doing things that are beyond comprehension. she could possibly go sub 3:50, sub 14 and who knows what her potential may be in the 10000m obviously sub 30 but how far under is something I can't wait to find out. What I love about her is the willingness to go after records and attack a fast time. So let's sit back, appreciate her awesomeness and enjoy what she does when she's on the track.

5 - Men's 800m, This wasn't the final it could have been if Aman and Amos had of advanced and pushed Rudishia to his limit but it was still a stacked field with some of the fastest men of the year in the field. David chose to employ a different tactic this time around where he let the pace go slow the first 400 (54.1) but controlling from the front. From there he simply defended his position and matched any attacks that came up on him before changing gears over the last 200 and final bend running 24 point for the last 200. The king is back baby!!

6 - Men's 100m, or as I like the refer to it as the battle of good vs. evil haha. But Bolt simply showed why he is the best sprinter to ever walk the earth. When it counts he has nerves of steel and wasn't phased at all by Gatlin and got it done. 

7 - Men's Marathon, I don't know what to make of this. I'm super happy for the young Eritrean who took the win but I'm also puzzled as to what happened to Kimetto and Kipsang. If anyone heard anything please comment below and let me know. It was certainly a strange race with the heat being a big factor.


My Week in training


Monday

Workout - 5X2km on the track with Ian. The rests were supposed to be 3' but most were almost 4. I was waiting to start my recovery for when Ian finished his intervals which were about 1 minute off mine. The splits were 6:09, 6:02, 6:05, 6:05, 5:51. I cranked the last one and felt like death after I split 1600m in 4:39. My arms started locking up a bit and it just wasn't pleasant as I was obviously tired from the earlier intervals ha. Clearly it's better running them around 6:05 with the effort feeling hard but manageable.

13 miles with workout - AM
7 miles super easy with Jason - PM

Tuesday

Another workout - Jason and I had a race paced workout planned and I figured if I couldn't hit half marathon pace for 6 miles on tired legs then I shouldn't even try to hit the pace in a race. So I did a 6 mile tempo at 5:14/mile average the splits were (5:19, 5:17, 5:13, 5:14, 5:10, 5:13). It felt hard for the last 10 minutes or so but I got it done. Jason had 8 miles at his Marathon pace so I ran an extra 2 miles at my marathon pace which I figure is 5:30 so I got 8 total miles in of quality.

13 miles with warm up, cool down and workout (average of the 13 via strava was 5:48/mile) - AM
7 miles super slow - PM

Wednesday

15 miles easy with Johnny Lodge - AM
4 miles with strides - PM

Thursday

Workout - 2X25 minutes. The first 25' at half marathon pace and the second 25 at marathon pace. This went really well despite being a little fatigued. Jason and I met up on the loop and then got after it. The first 25' my splits were 5:22, 5:13, 5:17, 5:08 and then .8 of the last mile at 5:06/mile pace. After a 5 minute recovery we did the second one. This time at my marathon pace. I eased into it and went 5:52, 5:29, 5:34, 5:21 and 5:07 pace for the last .5 of a mile. Overal the average for the first 25' was 5:14 and the second was 5:31.

14 miles with warm up and cool down - AM
6 miles easy - PM

Friday

12 miles easy with Jason - AM
8 miles easy - PM

Saturday

19.8 mile long run with Jason - AM
OFF - PM

Sunday

Workout - A very short but intense speed development workout. First I did 10X150 meters changing gears every 50m. After that I did 10X15" hill sprints and lastly 10X200m starting at 31 and working down to 28. The focus was just form, efficiency and turn over. Overall the session wasn't that taxing.

12 miles with workout - AM
8 miles easy - PM



So that's another BIG week in the books. I think I hit 139.2 or something like that. I'm going to take a down week to freshen the legs up and hopefully absorb some of the training this week. If you guys are ever curious to see all the splits and mileage then you can check out my workouts and all my runs on strava. Here is the link to me so feel free to toss me a follow or make fun of some of my workouts or whatever tickles your fancy :p - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3313501

Lastly, I just confirmed with the always awesome Megan Brown for my spot on the starting line of the Canadian 5km Road Champs on the 13th so if any of you are going to be there feel free to say hey and I'll be around to have a chat and beer afterwards so I hope to see all my running friends up there. I'm talking with the organizers of the Rock and Roll Montreal event as well so I may be running that the following weekend if all goes well followed by Scotiabank in October so I'm sure I'll cross paths with all of you fine people at some point.

No pictures today as my cell phone is out in my car and I'm too lazy to go get it but I promise to post some legendary ones next time ha. Well, that's it for me. Thank's ever so much for taking the time to stop by and read my ramblings.

Until next time, 
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment