Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Green light for training, Heath beats Farah & signing again with Saucony

Hello hello! How are you fine folks? Making some gains, or at least returning to form after the holidays? I'm in an awesome mood as yesterday I got the green light from Doctor Rideout to resume running which is awesome. I was going stir crazy, ever since I started running I've never hand any injuries so breaking my jaw, which in and of itself doesn't directly effect my running was pretty devastating. I cross trained hard but I'm not one of those guy's who going 110% when he cross trains....I find it ridiculously boring and not fun at all. I'm sure I've lost a little fitness but I'm not too worried about it as I'm sure it'll come back within a month or so. Unfortunately it means I won't run Huston and will look for a fast half at the end of February or early March. Instead I'll take the plans for my trip and change it up for sunny Florida instead to seek refuge from our cold weather and hit some good training. Anyway, I figured I'd give you guy's the details. Obviously there's no training recap for last week but I started again yesterday with two super easy 10 mile runs. I underestimated what not running a step in 3 weeks will do to a person however....I won't be able to jump right back into 20 mile days/140 mile weeks. I'll run 85-90 this week see how I feel then jump back into normal mileage the following week then start introducing workouts again. As for this post I'll keep it very short and just talk about the great XC race from last weekend and get to a couple other points I'd like to mention.


Back with Saucony!


Firstly before I go any further I want to give a shout out to the fine folk at Saucony, I've signed another contract with this awesome company and couldn't be more happy about it. They have treated me extremely well since I first signed with them in 2013 when I wasn't much of a runner. I'm proud to continue my partnership with this amazing team. I've pretty much met and have gotten to know the whole crew here in Canada and some of the boys and girls in the states. Shout out to Joe, Tyler, Ben, Catherine, Linda, Stacy and the rest of the people who work hard to make the brand what it is. I look forward to working with you guys and running for the brand moving into 2016!



Farah gets beat by Garrett Health, going after Komen's indoor 3km mark?


Last weekend saw the annual Great Edinburgh XC race being run and once again it drew some big names, most notably Mo Farah. When the mud settled however, Farah got schooled by the now 3 time champ, Garrett Health. I feel like Health can't loose at this venue. He's beaten the likes of Kiprop and Bekele there before. In my mind the GOAT's of middle and long distance running. Now he can add Farah's scalp to his collection. You can check out the full race replay out at USATF.tv.

Farah was obviously disappointed to loose but only a day or two after the race there was talks about him going after the world record of 7:24 for the indoor 3km in February when he races in Birmingham. I love hearing this, Last year Mo took down Bekele's indoor 2 mile record, but if we are honest with ourselves, that was a very soft record. Rupp almost hit that 2 years ago but tied up a bit on the last lap and a half. Personally I think that record is very much attainable for Farah, I'd venture to say he can run 7:22 low to mid if he got everything right. Let's remember Rupp ran 7:30 flat indoors 3 years ago as a 3:34/3:50 miler.....Farah is leagues ahead of that kind of speed. We have to think Farah can do it based on his 1500m speed that he displayed again last summer running 3:28. That itself converts to 7:23ish. 3-5km all out are what, in my estimation anyway, are Farah's most dangerous distances. I really want to see him go after it and then make an attempt at a really fast 5km at the end of the outdoor season.



A few other notes,


1 - Last weekend out in Victoria they got their road racing season off to a great start with the Pioneer 8km, this is always an awesome event and I was so stoked to see Robbie D take the win in a very solid time of 23:47. Man, the road scene out there is just outrageous. In the top 5 you have Rob, Winter, Dylan and Lord....some of the countries best. Shout out to Natasha on taking the win as well.

2 - My friend Kelly Wiebe is calling it a career, this guy is a gem of a human being and one tough runner man. A CIS XC champ, Vancouver Sun Run champ, 13/28 minute 5/10km runner, he made lot's of national teams and ran world XC. He's a super smart dude who has a bright future ahead of him. Good luck Kelly, hope to see you around soon bawd.

3 - Women's London Marathon field was announced and it has 5 sub 2:20 performers led by Mary Kaitany. It's going to be a way stronger field then will be assembled at the Olympic Marathon in Rio so best be sure you get up early to watch this one in April!



Alright folks, I'm out, but next week I'll be back with my first training recap of the new year, I'm excited to get this year going and look forward to putting in a lot of hard work! 

Cheers,
Dave
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Dave, I like your commentary here, but have to disagree that Mo can go 7:22. I remember el G running 7:23 many years ago outdoors, and he was in 3:43 mile shape at the time. I think Mo can do a 7:27, tops. Fun to watch, though!

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew, thanks for the comment, I love debating stuff like this. You bring up a very fair point. When outlining El G's speed I'd actually say his 3:26.00 is a better performance, that's sub 55 second 400's and worth 3:41 flat for the mile. Regardless you are right in saying his speed was FAR superior to Mo's. I would argue that he didn't have near the strength of Farah however, Let's not forget he ran a 3:28 1500 and a 59:32 half marathon within a 4 month time period. I'd also point out that Haile Geb ran 7:25 with 3:33 outdoor and 3:31 high indoor 1500m speed. That's what makes me think Mo can run that fast. Also the fact that Galen has run 7:30 low. You could very well be right, we will soon find out. But I stand by my comment and think Mo can run 7:22-7:23 if he's in peak fitness and lets it rip from the gun! :).

      Hope all is well!

      Dave

      Delete
    2. If anyone can take down these hard-to-break records, it is Mo in front of an adoring UK audience. Let's hope that the pacing is good and he can take a good shot at it.

      Good luck with training and racing -- and no more facial follies! Your blog has lots of interesting detail.

      -Andrew

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the kind words man, I'll make sure to not do any face plants on my front steps and keep the training and blogging on point!

      Dave

      Delete